Oh my God. The kid just kept going on and on. I really couldn’t stand it. Here we are standing over a body, a dead body, and he’s droning on about some bullshit gunshot. I bit my lip and gave him a look. It was the least I could do to stop from slapping the dimwit.
“Obviously, someone had to have entered through the rear entrance, due to the angle of the bullet hole here. I presume it ricocheted off the door and then struck the old woman,” the idiot surmises.
Brilliant. Just brilliant. Four other people in this room could have told him that. Just because this moron holds a degree from MIT, he thinks he can outsmart a woman. He says this is a man’s world and I’m just living in it. The hell with that.
“Hey Sean,” I begin, “why don’t you try stating something a little more obvious. Perhaps you could put some good use to that handout degree you got from your pretentious father. Do you not see the gun in her hand? I know it’s small, but you should be used to detecting small weapons by now,” he quickly gets up from his squatting position on the floor and lunges towards me, but I take a step back and continue, trying to stifle the urge laugh.
“I’m willing to bet with a little bit of DNA testing, and an IQ higher than a cabbage, we’ll see that her fingerprints and no one else’s are on the gun.”
“What the hell Camille. How would you figure something like that out? And fuck you. Sorry we can’t all graduate from UCSB. Oh wait, did you go to college or a bar? Certainly your brain cells are the ones lacking here.”
I smiled a little. His ignorance was too much for me. Laughable really.
“Well if you would recall Janice’s past: years of drinking, two dead kids, and a husband who left her after their deaths. Suicide isn’t that far-fetched. You were blinded by her involvement with an alleged rapist. Big deal. Look past that. Hell, I doubt you can even look past that huge ego you have. Sorry I even bothered to ask you.”
He clenched his fists and fumed at me. Once again, I gave him my sweetest little smile. I swear this child is going to drive me nuts. Do we really need retards out here screwing things up? Obviously no one told him that this isn’t college anymore. He’s not the big shit on campus anymore. No one gives a fuck. I flipped my hair over my shoulders and reached in my purse for a tube of lip gloss. Then I looked at the poor old bag.
I leaned down and whispered, “You got off lucky. Pricks like that are everywhere these days. I don’t blame you for wanting out.”
I quickly made a sign of the cross over her body, and got back up. As everyone was walking out with to take the gun to the lab, I heard the faintest sound, almost as if the front door was creaking open.
“Hey guys…”
I was suddenly cut off by rapid fire gun shots. Holy shit. The boyfriend is back. It must be him. As I lay on the floor, I look over to Sean who is basically crying on the ground. Looks like he wet himself too. Typical. He should never have walked out of Mommy’s door five years ago. I ran over to him and reached for his gun.
“Sean, give me your gun now,” I whispered, there was no time for bullshitting.
“Wait, what the hell are you d…” he protested, but I slapped him for good, slightly dramatic, measure.
Behind the door is a man with a very short temper. He is going to walk in and see his dead girlfriend. I run my hand through my hair once, and then kick the door open, pointing the gun right in between his eyes…


0 comments:
Post a Comment